As pumpkins and scarecrows begin to decorate your preschool, now is the perfect time to show your staff a little Halloween love, too. After all, this is a holiday that can be just as fun for grown-ups as it is for the little ones.
Studies show that employee recognition and reward programs are critical to staff retention and performance. For example, according to a study by the American Psychological Association, “Feeling valued is an important piece of the employee’s assessment of their workplace. Those who feel valued are more likely to report being and feeling motivated to do their very best for their employer “
Here are a few Halloween-themed ideas you can use throughout October to show your staff how much you appreciate their hard work:
1. Set up a Halloween-themed hot chocolate or coffee bar for your staff. It can be as simple as some jars with candy corn and spooky marshmallow peeps, or as elaborate as the above example by blogger Clean and Scentisble. Click here for directions.
2. Everybody likes cupcakes. Whether you order them from a local bakery, or create them at home, a Halloween-themed cupcake is always appreciated. Here’s a recipe for pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting from Cooking Classy. Or, simply add a pumpkin to standard Duncan Hines cupcakes — you’ll still be a hero!
3. Put together small gift bags with little treats, and surprise your staff with them on a random day in October.
4. Prepare this year’s hot Pinterest trend for Halloween – chocolate or caramel -covered apple slices on a stick. They’re easy to make, and are guaranteed crowd-pleasers. Here’s a simple recipe from blogger Domestically Blissful.
5. Offer prizes for the best dressed teacher on Halloween. Gift cards are always a perfect teacher gift.
Whether you choose to use all of these ideas, just one or two, or something else entirely, keeping your employees happy and motivated is always worth the extra effort.